cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using databricks sql warehouse as web app backend

AhsanKhawaja
New Contributor

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anyone is using Databricks SQL Warehouse as backend for small to large scale web application?

What are your thoughts about it, specially what Databricks team thinks of it ?

Kind Regards,

A

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

it is possible but:

• you need to have a cluster running all the time. Sql serverless spins up fast, but it takes several seconds nonetheless which can be too long of a wait for a web app.
  • calculate the cost. It might be cheaper to run a classic RDBMS
  • think about optimizations that might be necessary for your app (indexing mainly) that are not always possible in databricks
  • do not forget labour cost for maintenance/development (this is probably a pro for databricks)

I might think of more things later.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Also, you need to provide more details. If you want to load for user report with 1000 rows is excellent. If you want to load the last news for your webpage, you need something with low latency.

stefnhuy
New Contributor III

Hey AhsanKhawaja,

Yeah, I've played around with using Databricks SQL Warehouse as a backend for a web app. It's got its perks, but like anything, it depends on your needs.

From my experience, it's slick for handling big data and crunching numbers. If your web app deals with heavy analytics or large datasets, it could be a solid choice. The SQL integration is smooth, and the performance is decent.

Speaking of trends in the tech space, have you checked out the latest insights on mobile app development? I recently came across an interesting article titled 'Mobile Apps Future: Unveiling the Top Trends Shaping the Next Generation' It delves into the evolving landscape of mobile apps and could offer some valuable insights for your considerations.

As for what the Databricks team thinks, well, they're obviously on board with their own product. They'll highlight the scalability and analytics prowess. But remember, every tool has its sweet spot.

Just a heads-up: keep an eye on costs as you scale. Sometimes, those bills can surprise you. Also, ensure your team is comfortable with the learning curve.

Give it a spin in a smaller project first, see how it fits.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.