Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: "Access validation failed" and error detail is "PERMISSION_DENIED: Cannot find shard endpoint for shard az-eastasia"

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

Hi

Getting the error message as below:

Databricks-create-metastore 

when following the tutorial:

Get started using Unity Catalog - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn

in the section of "Create your first metastore and attach a workspace" with both storage and connector information filled and then click create.

Have googled the error with key work metastore but haven't found any useful information.

Any help on how to succeed with creating a metastore would be deeply appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Li
New Contributor III

Fix merged, will get rolled out in the next 2 weeks. In the meanwhile, you can create a metastore from databricks-cli.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @joe zhou​ Your storage account must be in the same region where you have created your databricks workspace.

Please check this once

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

Thanks Ajay. However, I've double checked, the storage account is in the same region:

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

And just adding that the access connector privilege has been granted as same as earlier steps indicated:

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

Well. I've successfully created a metastore in east us region with similar settings. So guess something wrong in east asia.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I see that East Asia is supported by UC https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/resources/supported-regions you can try my step-by-step manual regarding setting up UC https://community.databricks.com/s/feed/0D58Y00009hlj04SAA

Thanks Hubert. But no luck. Still same error message.

Btw, the storage abfss link should be:

<container_name>@<storage_account_name>.dfs.core.windows.net/

instead of

<storage_account_name>@<container_name>.dfs.core.windows.net/

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I looked one more time and this region is not supported for UC https://docs.databricks.com/resources/supported-regions.html

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

Thanks for keep looking, however that's the region for AWS 🙂

I've got a confirmation below from Andrew Li that the issue will be fixed soon.

Andrew_Li
New Contributor III

This is a bug, thanks for reporting it! Databricks engineers would address this soon.

Andrew_Li
New Contributor III

Fix merged, will get rolled out in the next 2 weeks. In the meanwhile, you can create a metastore from databricks-cli.

joe_zhou
New Contributor III

Thanks, deeply appreciated

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.