Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert string to datetime with correct timezone?

najmead
Contributor

I have a field stored as a string in the format "12/30/2022 10:30:00 AM"

• If I use the function TO_DATE, I only get the date part... I want the full date and time.
  • If I use the function TO_TIMESTAMP, I get the date and time, but it's assumed to be UTC, which isn't correct (it's actually the local timezone where the data was originally hosted)
  • I can potentially use MAKE_TIMESTAMP, but I have to do a lot of string manipulation to get all the components

What is the easiest way to convert the string into a timestamp, with the timezone of my choosing?

6 REPLIES 6

daniel_sahal
Honored Contributor III

@Nicholas Mead​ 

You can use TO_TIMESTAMP() function with format parameter.

Ex.

TO_TIMESTAMP("12/30/2022 10:30:00 AM", "MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss a") AS tsDate

I don't seem to be getting the same result... note no timezone info in my results;

Is there a config setting I'm missing or something?

Just to answer my own question, in case anyone else googles for this...

FirstIy, don't know why timezone isn't displaying in my query results using a SQL Warehouse, but it works ok using a compute cluster, so I'm guessing it is a display issue rather than a data issue.

Secondly, from what I can tell, using the TO_TIMESTAMP function will apply the timezone for your session (which might not be the timezone you want). I didn't realise this could be solved pretty easily by simply pasting your timezone to the end of the date string, like this;

TO_TIMESTAMP(MyDateTimeString || ' Timezone', 'M/d/y h:m:s a z)

For example;

TO_TIMESTAMP(MyDateTimeString || ' America/Los_Angeles', 'M/d/y h:m:s a z)

Manoj12421
Valued Contributor II

Use to_utc_timestamp(expr,timezone)​

SRK
Contributor III

You can use this to get the time zone of your choosing:

Rajeev_Basu
Contributor III

use from_utc_timestamp(to_timestam("<string>", <format>),<timezone>)

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.