Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to execute grant and revoke statements to a user for an object based on a condition?

data_explorer
New Contributor II

SELECT if((select count(*) from information_schema.table_privileges where grantee = 'samo@test.com' and table_schema='demo_schema' and table_catalog='demo_catalog')==1, (select count(*) from demo_catalog.demo_schema.demo_table), (select count(*) from demo_catalog.demo_schema.demo_table2));

The above query is working and I'm getting the result.

But what I'm trying to achieve is that,

if

select count(*) from information_schema.table_privileges where grantee = 'samo@test.com' and table_schema='demo_schema' and table_catalog='demo_catalog')==1

If the above condition is true , then I want to run the below subqueries altogether:

revoke select on table demo_catalog.demo_schema.demo_table from `samo@test.com`;revoke usage on catalog demo_catalog from `samo@test.com`;revoke usage on schema demo_catalog.demo_schema from `samo@test.com`;

Basically, for a user, if there is access to only one table, then I want to revoke the access from table, schema and catalog.

Is it possible to achieve this, if yes, How to achieve it?

1 REPLY 1

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, GRANT and REVOKE are privileges on an securable object to a principal. And a principal is a user, service principal, or group known to the metastore. Principals can be granted privileges and may own securable objects.

Also, you can use REVOKE ON SHARE to revoke access on shares from recipients and you can use GRANT ON SHARE to grant recipients access to shares.

Please refer: https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/security-grant.html

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/security-revoke.html

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.