Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Creating Primary Key Constraint

najmead
Contributor

I am trying to add a primary key constraint to an existing table, and I get the following error;

Cannot create or update table because the child column(s) `my_primary_key` of primary key `pk` cannot be set to nullable. Either drop the constraint, or change the column nullability.

This doesn't make sense to me... why would you want a primary key column to be nullable? In any event, I tried to alter the column to allow nulls and still got the same error.

I appreciate that primary keys and foreign keys in data bricks are informational only, but I want to be able to support downstream BI developers with this information if possible.

2 REPLIES 2

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Could you please confirm if you are using the latest databricks-sql-connector ? (https://pypi.org/project/databricks-sql-connector/)

I'm not using databricks-sql-connector. I ran the query from the query editor within databricks itself.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.