cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipeline failed while calling Databricks Notebook - Cluster Terminated

killjoy
New Contributor III

Hello,

We have an Azure Data Factory pipeline running during the night, and one of the activities calls a Databricks Notebook with dynamic DatabricksInstancePoolId, ClusterVersion and Workers. Yesterday, it failed with with the following error:

Cluster terminated. Reason: Init script failure

Cluster scoped init script dbfs:/InitScripts/InstallODBCDriverForSQLServer.sh failed: Script exit status is non-zero

I checked the run in databricks and all I had in the output was:

Run result unavailable: job failed with error message

Unexpected failure while waiting for the cluster Some((xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) )to be readySome(: Cluster xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxis in unexpected state Terminated: INIT_SCRIPT_FAILURE(CLIENT_ERROR)instance_id:xxxxxxxxxxxxx,databricks_error_message:Cluster scoped init script dbfs:/InitScripts/InstallODBCDriverForSQLServer.sh failed: Script exit status is non-zero.).

Back in Azure Data Factory, I rerun the pipeline from failed activity and it succeeded, but I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening again.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

The error is internal with databricks sometimes it's happened while installing the ODBC driver.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Rita Fernandes​ ,

Is it first time you got this error??

killjoy
New Contributor III

Hi! Yes

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

The error is internal with databricks sometimes it's happened while installing the ODBC driver.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Rita Fernandes​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

killjoy
New Contributor III

Hi @Vidula Khanna​ , my solution was just rerunning the pipeline but I don't know in detail what was the issue. If it was internal with databricks maybe it was just a one-time thing, the error hasn't happened again since.

jose_gonzalez

Hi @Rita Fernandes​,

What are you trying to install in your init script? only the ODBC driver or some other libraries/dependencies?

Yes exactly. This error hasn't happened again since i posted this

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.