Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Machine Learning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DBFS REST API - unable to access or upload experiment artifacts - permission denied

Tom12
New Contributor III

Hello,

we are trying to achieve artifacts upload to MLflow experiments via REST API. (We have an edge case when we need to do that)

But if we try to use DBFS API to upload an artifact, we are not allowed. Always ends up with:

• `PERMISSION_DENIED: No operations allowed on this path`

We have Databricks on Azure.

Any idea why can this be happening? Or how to upload MLflow experiment artifacts via Databricks APIs?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Could you please confirm the destination permissions if there are right permissions on it?

Tom12
New Contributor III

Hi, I have administrator access right on the workspace.

My steps:

1. Creating a new access token in Databricks workspace User Settings
  2. Creating a new experiment
  3. Creating a new experiment run via MLflow rest API - https://mlflow.org/docs/latest/rest-api.html#create-run - with created token ... it returns artifact URI ("artifact_uri": "dbfs:/databricks/mlflow-tracking/1293313707004507/02f3021af00940fc9f8f93a7f64916ec/artifacts",)
  4. Trying to upload file via https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/dev-tools/api/latest/dbfs#--put

Step 4. always faileswith `PERMISSION_DENIED: No operations allowed on this path` with payload:

```

{

"path": "dbfs:/databricks/mlflow-tracking/1293313707004507/02f3021af00940fc9f8f93a7f64916ec/artifacts/HelloWorld.txt",

"contents": "SGVsbG8sIFdvcmxkIQ==",

"overwrite": true

}

```

and if I change the path to `"/dbfs/databricks/mlflow-tracking/1293313707004507/02f3021af00940fc9f8f93a7f64916ec/artifacts/HelloWorld.txt` it works but the file is not uploaded under my Experiment run.

Not sure if this action is even allowed, to upload file via DBFS rest API to experiment runs. Or if I am using incorrect DBFS path or endpoint.

Thank you for you help, Tomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tomas Hanzlik​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Tom12
New Contributor III

Hi @Vidula Khanna​,

unfortunately wasn't able to solve this yet. Help would be welcomed 🙂

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tomas Hanzlik​ 

I'm sorry you could not find a solution to your problem in the answers provided.

Our community strives to provide helpful and accurate information, but sometimes an immediate solution may only be available for some issues.

I suggest providing more information about your problem, such as specific error messages, error logs or details about the steps you have taken. This can help our community members better understand the issue and provide more targeted solutions.

Alternatively, you can consider contacting the support team for your product or service. They may be able to provide additional assistance or escalate the issue to the appropriate section for further investigation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.