Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query information schema under Catalogs from Tableau Desktop - what are the permissions?

mimoliho
New Contributor II

Hi there,

We have Unity Catalogs enabled in Azure Databricks.

I would like to connect to system.information_schema.* or any other *.information_schema.*.

Querying in UI or other IDEs works as expected -

select * from system.information_schema.tables.

Now when I'm trying to establish the connection from Tableau Desktop - I can't see system catalog, also under other catalogs I don't see information schemas.

Could you please advise what are the type of permission I should have (as a user or group member) to be able to see system catalog and information schema inside it or other catalogs in Tableau Desktop?

Here is how it looks in Tableau Desktop under Catalog drop down - no System Catalog.

no_system_catalogHere are permissions in system catalog.

system_catalogsyste_catalog_infsystem_catalog_tableAlso attaching current permissions for one of the catalogs. Information Schema also not visible in Tableau Desktop.

dbricks_catalog_permtableau_destop_catalogAny advise will be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Egor Larin​ :

It looks like you are facing issues with accessing system catalogs and information schemas in Tableau Desktop when connecting to Azure Databricks. Here are a few things you can check:

1. Check the permissions: Make sure that the user or group you are using to connect to Azure Databricks has the necessary permissions to access system catalogs and information schemas. In Databricks, you can grant permissions to users or groups at the database level using Access Control Lists (ACLs). Make sure that the user or group has been granted the necessary permissions to access the system catalogs and information schemas.
  2. Check the driver settings: Check if you are using the correct JDBC driver to connect to Azure Databricks from Tableau Desktop. You can download the JDBC driver from the Databricks website. Also, make sure that you have specified the correct JDBC URL and driver class in the Tableau Desktop connection settings.
  3. Check the Tableau Desktop version: Make sure that you are using the latest version of Tableau Desktop. Older versions of Tableau Desktop may not be able to access system catalogs and information schemas in Azure Databricks.

If the above steps do not help, you can try reaching out to Tableau support for further assistance.

mimoliho
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, @Suteja Kanuri​ 

1. I have all necessary permissions. I'm the owner (a member in owning group) of another catalog (CAT1) with ALL PRIVILEGES permissions. I'm not able to see the information_schema for CAT1. In UI both information_shemas for system and CAT1 catalog are available, in Tableau Desktop can't see them in drop down when establishing connection, but I can run custom sql query to them from any other selected in drop downs catalogs or shemas (data bases in Tableau).td_connectorrun_custom_sql
  2. Using latest ODBC (simba spark 2.06.29.1049) and internal Tableau connector available in Tableau Desktopimage
  3. Got quite fresh version 2022.3.2 (20223.22.1203.1123) 64-bit

Just wondering if that is Tableau Connector issue... I could try with native ODBC connector, but it looks a bit complicated... so many details I have to provide comparing to Tableau connector. Will let you know

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Egor Larin​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.