Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running terraform plan; databricks throws a "Permission_Denied: Missing required permissions [View] on node with ID "1759335429158542"

gentresh
New Contributor III

To give you a little bit of background:

• We use terraform to deploy a resource group with multiple Azure services
  • Terraform leverages an Azure Service Principal that has Owner rights to the Azure subscription
  • This way, databricks is also deployed. We also define the github repo configuration within terraform, and pass in the Github username and PAT (with necessary permissions)
  • A week ago, when trying to add definitions to terraform (non-databricks related), we started seeing the following error
Error: cannot read repo: PERMISSION_DENIED: Missing required permissions [View] on node with ID '1759335429158542'. Using azure-client-secret auth: host=https://adb-<XYZ>.azuredatabricks.net, azure_client_secret=***REDACTED***, 
azure_client_id=***, azure_tenant_id=***
  • However, when I am unable to locate anything with that ID. I suspect it is one of the repos, but I am simply not able to find it.
  • I've gone ahead and used the Git Credentials API to PATCH/modify the PAT token for our Service Principal
    • Basically logged in to Azure using the service principal, generated an access token with the scope of "2ff814a6-3304-4ab8-85cb-cd0e6f879c1d/.default" << to my knowledge, this is the unique ID for databricks
    • Used CURL to GET/PATCH various API
    • Still getting the same error

Some of the commands used

#Azure login
az login --service-principal -u Env:ARM-CLIENT-ID -p Env:ARM-CLIENT-SECRET --tenant Env:ARM-TENANT-ID

#Generate token
AZ_TOKEN=$(az account get-access-token --scope "2ff814a6-3304-4ab8-85cb-cd0e6f879c1d/.default" --tenant Env:ARM-TENANT-ID | jq -r '.accessToken')

#Updated the Databricks Git Credentials by using GET then PATCH
curl -X GET -H "Authorization: Bearer $DB_TOKEN" \
https://adb-7866570032917376.16.azuredatabricks.net/api/2.0/git-credentials

#alternatively also used
curl -X GET/PATCH -H "Authorization: Bearer $DB_TOKEN" \
-H "X-Databricks-Azure-SP-Management-Token: $AZ_TOKEN" \
-H "X-Databricks-Azure-Workspace-Resource-Id: $WS_ID" \
-d '{"personal_access_token": "$PAT", "git_username": "$GITUSER", "git_provider": "gitHub"}' \
https://$DATABRICKS_URL/api/2.0/git-credentials/

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gent Reshtani​ , The error message you are seeing indicates that the user or service principal you are using to access the Azure Databricks workspace does not have the required permissions to view the node with ID '1759335429158542'.

The error message states that the user misses the ’View’ permission.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Gent Reshtani​ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.