Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOLD table slowed down at MERGE INTO

JRT5933
New Contributor III

Howdy - I recently took a table FACT_TENDER and made it into a medalliona tyle TABLE to test performance since I suspected medallion would be quicker.

Key differences:

• Both tables use bronze data
  • original has all logic in one long notebook
    • MERGE INTO that updates/inserts records takes roughly 13-minutes
  • Medallion table that reads in SILVER table and performs two JOINS
    • MERGE INTO tha updates/inserts records takes about 2 hours...

The SILVER table is quick for the medallion build, so I am at a loss here... I have tried optimziing for range joins, filtering out data, and ordering by but none of these have worked. Any thoughts? I can provide more detail here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JRT5933
New Contributor III

I ended up instituing true and tried PARTITIONING and PRUNING methods to boost performance, which has succeeded.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Jaime Tirado​ ,

Please refer below blog that might help you-

How to improve performance of Delta Lake MERGE INTO queries using partition pruning - Databricks

Rishabh264
Honored Contributor II

yes by referring this blog, you can have a much better understanding

JRT5933
New Contributor III

I have seen this article and it is not particularly helpful to my case. I have a DELTA table so I cannot add a partition.

JRT5933
New Contributor III

I ended up instituing true and tried PARTITIONING and PRUNING methods to boost performance, which has succeeded.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.