Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Schema with Unity enabled

sqlshep
New Contributor III

i have unit setup, and am trying to create a delta schema and table, i am getting an error on the schema creation, i am able to list the files and folders in the ADLS Gen2 storage account, i am able to write a parquet file to ADLS, but i cannot create a schema, did i miss a step in security somewhere?

"

AnalysisException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: MetaException(message:Got exception: shaded.databricks.azurebfs.org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.contracts.exceptions.KeyProviderException Failure to initialize configuration for storage account datalakeshepuc.dfs.core.windows.net: Invalid configuration value detected for fs.azure.account.key)"

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 12.11.33 PM

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

The exception is from hive module and it seems you're trying to create the schema in hive metastore. Please review cluster configurations. UC is supported in DBR 11.1 onwards in single user and shared access modes. Run USE CATALOG command and then execute CREATE DATABASE command.

USE CATALOG <catalog>;

CREATE { DATABASE | SCHEMA } [ IF NOT EXISTS ] <schema_name>

[ MANAGED LOCATION '<location_path>' ]

[ COMMENT <comment> ]

[ WITH DBPROPERTIES ( <property_key = property_value [ , ... ]> ) ];

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/create-schemas

sqlshep
New Contributor III

Tried the USE Catalog, same error.

When you say "Please review cluster configurations." what do you meant, there hundreds of settings to be modified, is there something i need to do in addition to the standard Unity setup stuff?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shep Sheppard​ As I mentioned, UC is supported in DBR 11.1 onwards in single user and shared access modes. So you should use DBR 11.1+ and use either single user or shared access mode. If the cluster has valid DBR version and access mode, then cluster summary should Unity Catalog enabled.

sqlshep
New Contributor III

This is what i have Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.08.21 AM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Shep Sheppard​ 

Thank you for your question! To assist you better, please take a moment to review the answer and let me know if it best fits your needs.

Please help us select the best solution by clicking on "Select As Best" if it does.

Your feedback will help us ensure that we are providing the best possible service to you.

Thank you!

sqlshep
New Contributor III

Still not solved i am unable to write to directly to ADLS Gen 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shep Sheppard​  Since you're creating a schema with managed location, you should ensure a valid storage credential and external location is created in order to authenticate to the storage account.  This path must be defined in an external location configuration, and you must have the CREATE MANAGED STORAGE privilege on the external location configuration. You can use the path that is defined in the external location configuration or a subpath 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/create-schemas

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/manage-external-loc...

sqlshep
New Contributor III

I went through all of this when i setup UC, and UC is working but still not able to write to ADLS Gen 2. I will review the links, again, but have all of that setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shep Sheppard​ Can you share you cluster spark configuration, storage credential and external location configurations. Please mask the sensitive data. Do you initialize storage using any of below spark configurations, notebook or any init script? If so, please remove them

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.auth.type.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "OAuth")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.oauth.provider.type.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.oauth2.ClientCredsTokenProvider")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.id.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "<application-id>")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.secret.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", service_credential)

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.oauth2.client.endpoint.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "https://login.microsoftonline.com/<directory-id>/oauth2/token")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.auth.type.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "SAS")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.sas.token.provider.type.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.sas.FixedSASTokenProvider")

spark.conf.set("fs.azure.sas.fixed.token.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net", "<token>")

spark.conf.set(

"fs.azure.account.key.<storage-account>.dfs.core.windows.net",

dbutils.secrets.get(scope="<scope>", key="<storage-account-access-key>"))

sqlshep
New Contributor III

I did not, i thought with using UC and the connector i would no have to provide that anymore. Without UC i store everything in Key Vault, and use secret scopes, i was hoping with UC that would solve the unmanaged adls access, but to be fair it is not documented either way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shep Sheppard​ Please refer to below doc on setting up a storage credential. You can use either an Azure managed identity or a service principal as the identity that authorizes access to your storage container. Managed identities are strongly recommended. They have the benefit of allowing Unity Catalog to access storage accounts protected by network rules, which isn’t possible using service principals, and they remove the need to manage and rotate secrets. Once you have valid storage credential and external location, you should be good.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/manage-external-loc...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Shep Sheppard​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.