Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email destination not appearing in Job's System Notification list.

TheRealJimShady
New Contributor

On job failure I need to send an email with a custom subject line. I have configured the email address as a destination with the subject that I need, but I don't see it as an option that I can choose in the 'System Notification' dialog in the job settings. Why is that?

Screenshot 2023-03-30 161113Screenshot 2023-03-30 161231

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

C__Thompson
New Contributor III

Hi,

I got a response back from the team and right now there are both technical limitations, and also no firm plans to support centrally configured emails with jobs.

You might wonder why the UI allows you to add these other ones (Email, Teams, Etc.). It is because that part of the platform is also shared with redash, where they can all be used.

As a workaround, we recommend using the webhook option to call an external service that can then do an email notification…

cc: @Ajay Pandey​ , @James Smith​ 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @James Smith​ ,

I am also facing the same issue @Chris Thompson​ can you please help in this.

Hi Ajay, did you mean to tag Chris Williams?

C__Thompson
New Contributor III

In answer to the question, I've asked the product team as that does seem a bit odd.

I have not tried this, but you could try to use the Jobs API https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/api/latest/jobs.html#operation/JobsCreate and give it the Id of the Email destination under the failure condition.

I would need to test that though..

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks

Sure, will try this.

C__Thompson
New Contributor III

Hi,

I got a response back from the team and right now there are both technical limitations, and also no firm plans to support centrally configured emails with jobs.

You might wonder why the UI allows you to add these other ones (Email, Teams, Etc.). It is because that part of the platform is also shared with redash, where they can all be used.

As a workaround, we recommend using the webhook option to call an external service that can then do an email notification…

cc: @Ajay Pandey​ , @James Smith​ 

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Chris Thompson​ ,

Thanks for quick reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @James Smith​ 

Hope everything is going great.

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue. If yes, would you be happy to mark an answer as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, please tell us so we can help you. 

Cheers!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.