Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Incorrect error when adding an IP access list

Rik
New Contributor III

I have disabled the IP Access List on my workspace and am trying to add an IP list through the IP Access List API. However, when adding a list, I get the INVALID_STATE response.

The docs mention this is because:

"If the new list would block the calling userโ€™s current IP, error 400 is returned with error_code value INVALID_STATE"

However, the docs also mention:

"Note that your new IP access list has no effect until you enable the feature."

So... even though I have disabled the feature, I still get the error.

This messes up our automation, as now it becomes very difficult to add access lists from scratch, unless the first list (we identified several lists) happens to include the current pipeline build agent.

I believe this is a bug.

example code:

GET {{api}}/workspace-conf?keys=enableIpAccessLists

Response:

{

"enableIpAccessLists": "false"

}

POST {{api}}/ip-access-lists

Body:

-- Any list that doesn't contain the client making the call --

Response:

{"error_code":"INVALID_STATE","message":"Your current IP **.**.**.** will not be allowed to access the workspace under current configuration"}*

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rik Jansenโ€‹ :

It seems like you're encountering a bug with the IP Access List API. It's possible that even though you have disabled the IP Access List feature, there might still be some residual settings or configurations that are causing this error.

One possible workaround could be to temporarily enable the IP Access List feature, add the necessary IP addresses to the list, and then disable the feature again. This way, you can add the IP addresses you need without blocking the current IP address.

Another option could be to contact the support team for the API or the platform you're using and report the issue to them. They may be able to provide more information or suggest a fix for the problem.

In any case, it's important to ensure that the security of your workspace is maintained, so it's good that you're taking measures to control access to it.

Rik
New Contributor III

"One possible workaround could be to (1) temporarily enable the IP Access List feature, (2) add the necessary IP addresses to the list, and then (3) disable the feature again. This way, you can add the IP addresses you need without blocking the current IP address."

This will not work When we enabling the IP whitelist, from that moment forward, once we add a single list (step 2), that list will immediately become active, with the risk of locking us out (as that list might not contain the pipeline agent IP). This is in fact what this API-check should prevent, and works as intended.

The check is too aggressive though, as it also does the check when the access list is disabled (which it shouldn't). If it is disabled, you should be free to add any IP you like, as it is not actively enforced anyways. The actual check should then only take place one you enable the access list (to prevent locking out the active caller).

"Another option could be to contact the support team for the API or the platform you're using."

What team would that be? As from my perspective the platform is Databricks and the API is IP Access List API (so, you guys). Is there a team within Databricks that can try and reproduce this behavior and put the bug on the backlog?

"In any case, it's important to ensure that the security of your workspace is maintained, so it's good that you're taking measures to control access to it."

Yes! I agree! Would be nice if Databricks can solve this bug, so that the API becomes more stable and robust for all users.

For other readers: I currently work around this issue by first adding an access lists that allow 0.0.0.0/0 (any IP) as a preprocess. Then I run the actual pipeline and the lists. As a postprocess I delete the 0.0.0.0/0 again.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.