Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 'Data' menu item shows 'No Options' for Databases. How can I fix?

System1999
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm new to Databricks and I've signed up for the Community edition.

First, I've noticed that I cannot return to a previously created cluster, as I get the message telling me that restarting a cluster is not available to me. Ok, inconvenient, but I can create a new cluster.

However, on the new cluster, when I click the 'Data' menu item, I see an error message that the cluster does not exist (presumably this is the original cluster that I deleted because I cannot restart it). I have tried the 'Databases' dropdown, but this returns that there are 'No Options'. (See screenshot.)

error 

I think I need to attach to the new cluster somehow. If I create a new notebook and run 'Show Databases', then it succesfully lists the Default database. I can also Create a table from an external CSV, and then query the table. But I would like to fix the menu problem.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, could you please clean cookies and caches in your browser and try again?

Please let us know if this helps. 

Also, please tag @Debayan​ with your next response so that I will be notified. Thanks!

System1999
New Contributor III

Hi ​@Debayan Mukherjee​ ,

I cleared the cookies and cache and this fixed the issue. Thanks.

As an aside, is it normal behaviour that a cluster cannot be restarted in Community edition? 

Thanks again.

Hi @Debayan Mukherjee​ ,

Although the issue was fixed by clearing cookies/cache, the next day I logged onto Databricks community edition and I had the same problem. So, this solution does not seem to be practical for me. Have you any other ideas?

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Simon G-L​ , Can you try with some other browser and reconfirm if you see the same issue? Looks like the historical caches and cookies are getting picked up even those were cleared. (updating the same browser or restarting may help.).

Hi @Debayan Mukherjee​ , thanks for the reply. I've tried it with different browsers and seem to get the same issue. ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Simon G-L​ :

It seems like there may be some confusion with the cluster state and the UI.

When you create a cluster in Databricks, it will be assigned a unique name and ID. If you delete that cluster and create a new one with the same name, it will have a different ID.

To access the Data menu, you need to be connected to a cluster that has access to the data. When you create a new notebook, you will be prompted to select a cluster to attach it to. Make sure to select the new cluster you created.

If you are already in a notebook and need to change the attached cluster, you can do so by selecting "Attach" from the "Clusters" menu in the top-right corner of the notebook interface.

System1999
New Contributor III

Hi @Suteja Kanuri​ ,

I get the error message under Data before I've created a cluster. Then I still get it when I've created a cluster and a notebook (having attached the notebook to the cluster). Thanks.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.