Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Warehouse Cluster - How to configure External Hive Meta Store

RafaelGomez61
New Contributor

In my Databricks regular Clusters, Our clusters are configured to an External Hive Meta Store (Azure SQL Server). I am able to set the External Hive configuration in the Advanced options Spark config setting within the cluster setting. In our setting, we configure the Hive to our SQL Server and the Storage Account as well. Giving us the ability to register our external data sources in the storage account onto the external hive as Delta tables. The configuration works great. All registered database/tables show up in the Data hive_metastore catalog when under the configured clusters. However, we would like to query the registered Delta tables from an SQL Warehouse cluster. I do know how to configure the Storage Account via Service Principal on the Admin Setting. Question - How do you configure the External Hive on the SQL Warehouse Cluster? And can the SQL Warehouse access the External Hive?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Please refer to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/archive/external-metastores/external-hive-metasto....

Please let us know if this helps.

Also, please tag @Debayan Mukherjee​ with your next response so that I will be notified. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Rafael Gomez​ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

judyy
New Contributor II

@RafaelGomez61 I have the some problem and after some exploring, I've configured it and also wrote a blog for the whole steps. You can have a look here: https://medium.com/@judy3.yang/how-to-configure-external-hive-meta-store-for-databricks-sql-warehous...

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.