Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change data format in an existing DB table

Pien
New Contributor II

I got errors of incompatible filetypes while converting to pyspark df, so I changed all columns to string types. Now I'm trying to add this df to an existing table (where not everything was a string type). And I'm getting an error of incompatible datatypes:error 

How can I change the existing table to string type? It is a sql database table and the data is in the dbfs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pien Derkx​ :

You can alter the existing table to change the data type of columns using SQL syntax. Here's an example of how to do it:

-- Replace <table_name> and <column_name> with the actual table and column names
ALTER TABLE <table_name> ALTER COLUMN <column_name> TYPE STRING;

This will change the data type of the specified column to string. You can run this command for each column that you need to change.

Alternatively, you can create a new table with the desired schema and then copy the data from the old table to the new table using SQL. Here's an example of how to do it:

-- Create a new table with the desired schema
CREATE TABLE <new_table_name> (
  <column1_name> STRING,
  <column2_name> STRING,
);

-- Copy the data from the old table to the new table
INSERT INTO <new_table_name> SELECT CAST(<column1_name> AS STRING), CAST(<column2_name> AS STRING), ... FROM <old_table_name>;

This will create a new table with the desired schema and copy the data from the old table to the new table, converting the data types in the process. Once the new table is created, you can drop the old table and rename the new table to the old table name.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pien Derkx​ :

You can alter the existing table to change the data type of columns using SQL syntax. Here's an example of how to do it:

-- Replace <table_name> and <column_name> with the actual table and column names
ALTER TABLE <table_name> ALTER COLUMN <column_name> TYPE STRING;

This will change the data type of the specified column to string. You can run this command for each column that you need to change.

Alternatively, you can create a new table with the desired schema and then copy the data from the old table to the new table using SQL. Here's an example of how to do it:

-- Create a new table with the desired schema
CREATE TABLE <new_table_name> (
  <column1_name> STRING,
  <column2_name> STRING,
);

-- Copy the data from the old table to the new table
INSERT INTO <new_table_name> SELECT CAST(<column1_name> AS STRING), CAST(<column2_name> AS STRING), ... FROM <old_table_name>;

This will create a new table with the desired schema and copy the data from the old table to the new table, converting the data types in the process. Once the new table is created, you can drop the old table and rename the new table to the old table name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pien Derkx​ 

Hope everything is going great.

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue. If yes, would you be happy to mark an answer as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, please tell us so we can help you. 

Cheers!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.