Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to connect QGIS to Databricks using ODBC?

gfar
New Contributor II

I can connect ArcGIS to Databricks using ODBC, but using the same ODBC DSN for QGIS I get an error - Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN

Has anyone got this working?

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grainne Farrant​ :

It is possible to connect QGIS to Databricks using ODBC, but it requires additional configuration. Here are the general steps to follow:

1. Install the ODBC driver for Databricks on your machine where QGIS is installed. You can download the driver from the Databricks website.
  2. Set up a DSN for Databricks in the ODBC Data Source Administrator on your machine. Make sure you test the connection to ensure it is working properly.
  3. In QGIS, go to the Layer menu and choose Add Layer > Add Vector Layer. Choose the Database tab and click the New button to create a new connection.
  4. Choose the ODBC option and enter the name of the DSN you created in step 2.
  5. Enter your Databricks username and password and click Test Connection to make sure it is working properly.
  6. Once the connection is established, you should be able to see the tables and views available in your Databricks instance and add them to QGIS as layers.

Note that some users have reported issues with using ODBC drivers with QGIS on MacOS, so you may need to use a different approach if you are on that platform.

gfar
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm on Windows. I have downloaded the driver, set-up the DSN for Databricks and tested it - all works fine. I have used this DSN to connect to Databricks from ArcGIS.

In QGIS, I followed your instructions and when I click test connections, I get an error - Connection failed- check settings and try again. Extended error information: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for <username>/<password>@<DSN>

I'm using QGIS 3.28.5-Firenze.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.