Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to run Sql Update/Delete commands for a AWS RDS system.

Mani1800
New Contributor

I tried 'jdbc' connection to access the data from the RDS. I was able to read the data successfully but I need to do run some update queries. It seems the jdbc won't support update operation. I tried to make connection to my RDS mysql with host, username, password, etc but it got denied due to ssl certificate authorization which is not supported in normal ssh connection to RDS. Kindly, let me know if there is any way to run update command. Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Manikandan Ramachandran​ 

JDBC does support running update and delete commands against a database, so it should be possible to execute those commands against your AWS RDS system using JDBC.

If you are encountering an SSL certificate error when trying to connect to your RDS instance, you may need to configure SSL for your JDBC connection. To do this, you will need to obtain the SSL certificate for your RDS instance and configure your JDBC connection to use it.

Here are the steps you can follow to configure SSL for your JDBC connection:

1. Download the SSL certificate for your RDS instance. You can do this by navigating to the RDS console in the AWS Management Console, selecting your instance, and clicking the "Download RDS Certificate" button.
  2. Save the SSL certificate to a file on your local machine.
  3. Update your JDBC connection URL to include the SSL properties. Here is an example URL:
jdbc:mysql://your-rds-instance-endpoint:3306/your-database-name?useSSL=true&requireSSL=true&verifyServerCertificate=true&sslMode=REQUIRED&trustCertificateKeyStoreUrl=file:///path/to/certificate.pem&trustCertificateKeyStorePassword=your_keystore_password

Replace your-rds-instance-endpoint with the endpoint of your RDS instance, and your-database-name

with the name of your database.

Replace /path/to/certificate.pem with the path to the SSL certificate file you downloaded in step 1.

Replace your_keystore_password with a password of your choice.

Use the updated JDBC connection URL to connect to your RDS instance and execute your update and delete commands.

Note that you may need to configure other SSL properties based on your specific RDS configuration. You can refer to the MySQL JDBC driver documentation for more information on the available SSL properties.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Manikandan Ramachandran​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.