cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not access SQL files in the Shared workspace

nyehia
Contributor

Hey,

we have an issue in that we can access the SQL files whenever the notebook is in the repo path but whenever the CICD pipeline imports the repo notebooks and SQL files to the shared workspace, we can list the SQL files but can not read them.

we changed the file permissions and still getting the same error.

the error is OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​ looks there was a small confusion, thought sql files are data files. Ignore my previous comment. Did you get a chance to check below article which shows need to end to config for ADF to Databricks

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/solution-template-databricks-notebook

what ever path you add in ADF level pipeline config that will be picked, can you please make sure how config has been setted

learn.microsoft.com

Run a Databricks Notebook with the activity - Azure Data Factory

Learn how you can use the Databricks Notebook Activity in an Azure data factory to run a Databricks notebook against the databricks jobs cluster.

@karthik p​ Thank you so much.

there is no issue in ADF running the notebook.

the main issue is that we can access the SQL files from Workspace/Repos but can not open the file whenever it is imported to the /Workspace/Shared. seems like a bug in the Workspace but we don't know how to fix it.

Thanks

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​ can you post command that you are using to read data. also some where in pipeline are you passing /workspace/shared path to place your files. if so please change that to your folder in /users and try to read, if files are being placed in shared that might be security concern as per governance if that need to be visible to you that should be in your users. if that should be accessed by every one that can be in shared

here are the commands

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​ can you use this command to copy you files from shared

dbutils.fs.cp ("file:/workspace/shared/.....", "dbfs:/tmp/sqls/*")

and to read try to use

display(dbutils.fs.ls("file:/tmp/sqls/*"))

@karthik p​ I tested the following. uploaded the sql files to /User and it worked fine. so a notebook in the /Shared folder can access the sql in the /User folder but can not access in the ?Shared folder.

i used cp just to test. but in the original code, i'm using dbutils.fs.ls("file:/ the sql path")

@karthik p​  posted a file.

@karthik p​ 

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​ Try this

with open("/Workspace/Shared/test.sql")  as queryFile:

queryText = queryFile.read()

display(queryText)

@karthik p​ this is the way i read the files and causing the error

@karthik p​ how can i copy sql files with extensions?

the workspace cli documentation says extensions are excluded

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​  looks it's a bug, can you try to upgrade databricks utility to new version if you have not and see, that may help as you do not want to opt manual export or import

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Nermin Yehia​ looks .sql is missing for u file (problem_list_history_weekly is .sql file right)

@karthik p​  yes. it is showing up in the /User(read is working fine) but not in the /Shared(read operation cause the error). we use databricks workspace import_dir command to copy notebooks and sql files from /User to /Shared using CICD.

when i tried to find the reason for the extension disappearance I found that in the doc

https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/cli/workspace-cli.html

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.