Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Suggestion Completes with Return, want only Tab

Tripalink
New Contributor III

How do I adjust the settings for the auto-suggestion? If I click Return, then it fills in the suggestion. If I click Tab, then it fills in the suggestion. I would really like it to only use the auto-suggestion value when I click Tab. How can I change this setting? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello @Dagart Allison​ ,

Good news, this issue was faced by many others and we have a configuration in the New editor settings section that’s underneath Experimental Features.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.08.56 PM 

I hope this helps. It would really help us if you can mark this answer if it helps resolve your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Nandini

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello @Dagart Allison​ ,

I believe you are mentioning about this autocomplete.

https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/notebook-editor.html#autocomplete

So I tried it and to activate the autocomplete I had to press a tab, only then I would get the options, and either I could use tab/enter or use up and down arrow to navigate.

To come out of autocomplete, you can just bring your cursor <- back using left key arrow (it is just a workaround).

I do not see the advanced editor settings like on an IDE (where you can disable "Enter key accepts suggestions) on the user settings of a notebook

https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/notebooks-manage.html#configure-editor-settings

However, we take your suggestion, and I will try to reconfirm if we can get a configurable option on notebook too.

Thanks & Regards,

Nandini

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello @Dagart Allison​ ,

Good news, this issue was faced by many others and we have a configuration in the New editor settings section that’s underneath Experimental Features.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.08.56 PM 

I hope this helps. It would really help us if you can mark this answer if it helps resolve your issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Nandini

Tripalink
New Contributor III

@Nandini N​  Thank you for the follow-up. Where do I find the Experimental Features? A click flow would be helpful so I know exactly how to get there. Thank you!

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello @Dagart Allison​ ,

To configure editor settings:

1. Click your username at the top right of the workspace and select User Settings from the drop down.
  2. Click the Editor settings tab.

https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/notebooks-manage.html#configure-editor-settings

I just checked internally, and this change has just been merged yesterday, it will take the next deployment to production to show you these changes.

Thanks!

Tripalink
New Contributor III

Great! Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Dagart Allison​ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.