Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DELETE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting help for Parsing JSON using Spark SQL.

NathanSundarara
Contributor

Hello this is my first post and we are started using databricks. I'm testing POC I'm more familiar with SQL syntax than python. Need some help with parsing the json. Here is a sample json.

The JSON parsing using lateral view , explode with SQL documentation is not sufficient any help from the community will help me move further.

I attached the json as a file.​

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nathan Sundararajan​ :

Thanks for sending over the json.

Here's an example of how you can parse the JSON using lateral view and explode in SQL:

Let's say you have a JSON data stored in a table called "json_data", and you want to extract the following fields from the JSON: "id", "name", "age", "address.city", and "address.state".

Here's the SQL query:

SELECT 
  json_extract_scalar(json_data, '$.id') as id,
  json_extract_scalar(json_data, '$.name') as name,
  json_extract_scalar(json_data, '$.age') as age,
  json_extract_scalar(json_data, '$.address.city') as city,
  json_extract_scalar(json_data, '$.address.state') as state
FROM 
  json_table(
    '[
      {
        "id": 1,
        "name": "John Doe",
        "age": 35,
        "address": {
          "city": "New York",
          "state": "NY"
        }
      },
      {
        "id": 2,
        "name": "Jane Smith",
        "age": 28,
        "address": {
          "city": "San Francisco",
          "state": "CA"
        }
      }
    ]',
    '$[*]'
    COLUMNS (
      json_data VARCHAR(4000) PATH '$'
    )
  ) jt

In this query, we are using the "json_table" function to convert the JSON array into rows. The "json_data" column contains the entire JSON data for each row.

Then, we use the "json_extract_scalar" function to extract the specific fields from the JSON using their respective JSON paths. The output of this query will be a table with the following columns: "id", "name", "age", "city", and "state", where each row represents an object in the JSON array.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nathan Sundararajan​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

The answer provided was not like my example 😞 In another post I asked more specific and didn't get answer. So it's not resolved.

NathanSundarara
Contributor

@Vidula Khanna​  please see my question

Feed Detail (databricks.com)

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.