Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revoking cluster creation permission for non-admin users in Databricks workspace

nistrate
New Contributor II

I'm currently building a Databricks workspace for my organization and I would like to revoke the cluster creation permission for all users except admins or a specific group (e.g., Data Analysts). Could someone please guide me on how to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

When you create a group in the admin panel, you can uncheck the "Enabled

Allow unrestricted cluster creation" option in the Entitlements tab.

This is pretty self explanatory.

However this does not mean no clusters can be created, because there is also something like Cluster Policies (defined on the Compute tab).

If your user group is assigned a cluster policy, the users from that group fall under the permissions of that cluster policy.

By default the "Personal Compute" policy is assigned to the All Users group. So you will have to change the policy accordingly (or create new policies).

So basically: disable cluster creation in the group and check cluster policies.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

When you create a group in the admin panel, you can uncheck the "Enabled

Allow unrestricted cluster creation" option in the Entitlements tab.

This is pretty self explanatory.

However this does not mean no clusters can be created, because there is also something like Cluster Policies (defined on the Compute tab).

If your user group is assigned a cluster policy, the users from that group fall under the permissions of that cluster policy.

By default the "Personal Compute" policy is assigned to the All Users group. So you will have to change the policy accordingly (or create new policies).

So basically: disable cluster creation in the group and check cluster policies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nicolae Istrate​ 

We haven't heard from you since the last response from @Werner Stinckens​ , and I was checking back to see if her suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others. 

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.