cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Workflow Creation and Implementing Approval Mechanism in Databricks

nistrate
New Contributor II

Hello Databricks Community,

I am seeking assistance understanding the possibility and procedure of implementing a workflow restriction mechanism in Databricks. Our aim is to promote a better workflow management and ensure the quality of the notebooks being attached to clusters.

Specifically, we want to restrict the ability for users to directly create workflows based on their user group. In our use case, if a user such as J.Doe is in the 'Data Engineer' group and is working on a new workflow, we would like them to submit the notebook for approval by an admin before it can be attached to a cluster.

Does Databricks support such a mechanism natively? If not, could you suggest any workarounds or third-party solutions that could help us achieve this? Ideally, we would like to automate this process as much as possible to avoid manual intervention.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16502773013
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Nistrate,

If I understand the question correctly, the ask is to create an approval framework/workflow for workflows/jobs changes/commits, I don't believe this is currently supported however this can be supported through the use of source control like Git ( pull requests )

Databricks is also integrated with source control through Databricks repos (details here)

Also please find available jobs/workflow permissions for Databricks' admin here

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

User16502773013
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Nistrate,

If I understand the question correctly, the ask is to create an approval framework/workflow for workflows/jobs changes/commits, I don't believe this is currently supported however this can be supported through the use of source control like Git ( pull requests )

Databricks is also integrated with source control through Databricks repos (details here)

Also please find available jobs/workflow permissions for Databricks' admin here

Regards

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.