Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error. Another git operation is in progress.

Tripalink
New Contributor III

I am getting an error every time I try to view another branch or create a branch. Sometimes this has happened in the past, but usually seems to fix itself after about 10-30 minutes. This error has been lasting for over 12 hours, so I am now concerned.

What sorts of things can cause this and how can this be avoided in the future?

git_error_message

4 REPLIES 4

rendorHaevyn
New Contributor III

@databricksHQ - can we receive a response to this post please?

I'm receiving same - this behaviour is unexpected, and never a consideration when using git via VS Code / command line.

-- edit --

This could be due to the GUI loading diffs in a file at the time of user clicking "create branch". 
However, this behaviour seems odd, and should not be mutually exclusive - that is, one of two things should occur / be implemented, if the user clicks "Create Branch" while a diff is loading: 

1. The diff load process is cancelled, and branch-creation take priority, or, 
  2. Both the diff load and branch-creation process are assigned separate processes to execute in parallel

The current process of returning an error message without explanation of what's occurring under the hood - let alone how to resolve - is not acceptable.

Dribka
New Contributor III

Hey @Tripalink ,

That's definitely a head-scratcher, and I get the concern with it lingering for over 12 hours. Git glitches can be a mystery sometimes. A few things might be at play here. First off, it could be a temporary hiccup on the server side, and if that's the case, it should ideally resolve itself soon. However, if it persists, it might be worth checking your network connection, firewall settings, or any recent updates to Git. Sometimes, these things play spoilsport. If you've ruled out those factors, diving into your Git configuration and ensuring it's up to snuff might be the next move. It's a bit of trial and error, but hey, that's the Git life for you.

Sincerely, Iwermectin.

graf_martin
New Contributor II

Any resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same.

Thank you,

graf_martin

Hakuna_Madata
New Contributor II

I had the same problem and I could resolve it by creating the repo again with a trailing ".git" in the Git repository URL.

For example, use this

https://gitlab.mycompany.com/my-project/my-repo.git

not this:

https://gitlab.mycompany.com/my-project/my-repo 

If you omit the ".git", you can create the repo and do simple operations like a checkout in Databricks but for the diff etc it is going to break with the "Another git operation is in progress" error.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.