cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to 100% Serverless

dbrx_user
New Contributor II

Hi all,

A few questions about the upcoming transition to 100% serverless, if anyone has any info that would be great!

• When will the move to serverless occur? I understand from 1st July (today) but has anyone seen a roadmap?
  • What will the move to serverless mean in practice? i.e. will existing clusters remain and the ability to create new clusters be turned off or something else?
  • What will happen to current managed resource groups?
  • What about customers on reserved instances?
  • For customers without UC enabled workspaces - will they need to transition?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbrx_user, Let me address your questions about the transition to serverless in Databricks:

1. Serverless Compute for Databricks SQL:

2. Transition Timeline:

3. Existing Clusters and Managed Resource Groups:

• Existing clusters will continue to function, but serverless computing provides an alternative for BI and SQL workloads.
    • Managed resource groups remain unaffected by the transition.
  4. Reserved Instances:

• Customers using reserved instances can still benefit from serverless compute. It complements existing clusters and provides additional flexibility.
  5. UC-Enabled Workspaces:

• For customers without UC-enabled workspaces, transitioning to serverless is optional. However, it’s a powerful way to simplify compute management and reduce costs.

Remember that Databricks periodically releases updates, so stay informed about any changes or enhanc...3. If you have further questions, feel free to ask!

dbrx_user
New Contributor II

Thanks @Kaniz_Fatma but I was actually referring to their new announcement from the Data and AI Summit that they would be transitioning to 100% serverless across their whole platform. I haven't seen much beyond the initial announcements in terms of what this actually looks like.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!