Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Spark Connect Behind Premium Plan Paywall?

gandersen-codes
New Contributor II

Quoting the databricks-connect docs, "For Databricks Runtime 13.0 and above, Databricks Connect is now built on open-source Spark Connect." What is odd to me is that a requirement for utilizing this open source Spark feature on Databricks, is Unity Catalog, which requires a premium Databricks plan.

I would understand if this was a restriction in databricks-connect proper, that power-users could bypass by simply using the native Spark Connect, but using Spark Connect directly to connect to a cluster outside of a Unity enabled workspace also does not work.

What is this reasoning for this restriction other than pushing users onto premium plans? Eventually non-premium/Unity users will not be able to use any form of databricks-connect once Databricks Runtime 12 is discontinued. Is there any plan for addressing this restriction?

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gandersen-codes , I recommend reaching out directly to Databricks support by filing a support ticket.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.