cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Certifications
Join dynamic discussions on Databricks certifications within the Community. Exchange insights, tips, and experiences to help prepare for certification exams and validate your expertise in data engineering, analytics, and machine learning.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access denied for S3 sources for course materials

michalklucz
New Contributor II

I've joined the Apache spark for Data Analysts course.

I am in the module 3: https://www.coursera.org/learn/apache-spark-sql-for-data-analysts/lecture/jNNcZ/using-course-materia...

Whenever I am trying to create the structure on my cluster I receive a permission error from AWS side (can't read the source).

an important part of error:

Caused by: java.lang.Throwable: Forbidden; request: HEAD https://databricks-corp-training.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com common/dataframes/people-10m.parquet {} Hadoop 3.4.0, aws-sdk-java/1.12.728 Linux/5.15.0-1058-aws OpenJDK_64-Bit_Server_VM/17.0.10+7-Ubuntu-120.04.1 java/17.0.10 scala/2.12.18-bin-db-3-f50da8f kotlin/1.6.21 vendor/Private_Build cfg/retry-mode/legacy cfg/auth-source#unknown com.amazonaws.services.s3.model.GetObjectMetadataRequest; Request ID: W8X1R82BCX0XMZ7D, Extended Request ID: EXSyVCU7t44SDK+clLmWlzB2HtwrXYsi40eETuztKIUxoagtGS7EyXgWMDsoibQhbV9EBrVp2Dc=, Cloud Provider: AWS, Instance ID: i-0af2cf65983b32fb9 credentials-provider: com.amazonaws.auth.BasicAWSCredentials credential-header: AWS4-HMAC-SHA256 Credential=AKIAJBRYNXGHORDHZB4A/20240705/us-west-2/s3/aws4_request signature-present: true (Service: Amazon S3; Status Code: 403; Error Code: 403 Forbidden; Request ID: W8X1R82BCX0XMZ7D; S3 Extended Request ID: EXSyVCU7t44SDK+clLmWlzB2HtwrXYsi40eETuztKIUxoagtGS7EyXgWMDsoibQhbV9EBrVp2Dc=; Proxy: null)

Coursera support already rejected my case as it's not a 'platform issue' but content.

cluster is ON, classroom has been set up

7 REPLIES 7

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @michalkluczThis error typically occurs when the IAM user or role making the request does not have the necessary permissions to access the specified resource.

To resolve this issue, you should check the following:

1. Ensure that the IAM user or role has the s3:GetObject permission on the specific object or the s3:ListBucket permission on the bucket containing the object. Without these permissions, the HEAD operation will fail with a 403 Forbidden error.
  2. Verify that the IAM user or role has the correct AWS credentials (access key and secret key) configured in your Databricks cluster. Ensure that the credentials belong to the IAM user or role with the necessary permissions.
  3. Check if the S3 bucket has any specific bucket policies or access control lists (ACLs) that might be restricting access to the object. Ensure that the IAM user or role has the necessary permissions granted through these policies.
  4. If you are using a cross-account access scenario, make sure that the bucket owner has granted the necessary permissions to the IAM user or role from the other account. This can be done by updating the bucket policy.
  5. Ensure that the S3 bucket and object names are correct and match the ones specified in your Databricks code.

michalklucz
New Contributor II

Hello Fatima!

thank you for your reply. While it's technically correct, this is not applicable here, as we are discussing databricks owned buckets and materials.

here is a link to the course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/apache-spark-sql-for-data-analysts/supplement/P8ag4/course-materials

here is a link to dbc file: https://files.training.databricks.com/courses/moocs/SQLDA/Lessons.dbc

michalklucz_0-1720436545380.png

it should be modified on your side, not mine 😞

Hi @michalklucz, Thank you so much for your response!

To expedite your request, please list your concerns on our ticketing portal. Our support staff would be able to act faster on the resolution (our standard resolution time is 24-48 hours).

Hi @michalklucz  I am also facing the same issue. Did you got any solution on it??

michalklucz
New Contributor II

Hello,thank you for your recommendation

as I can't log in to support (as I only have a community account) I created a ticket: #00499096 later after checking the topic, I also found that I after encountering the error, I instantly created a ticket: #00498644 .

till now, no reply from Friday.

I hope to see any contact soon as I can progress with the course.

Rishabh_Tiwari
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @michalklucz ,

I am following-up on this discussion. Is the issue stands resolved? Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Not yet. I am still having the same error.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group