Cannot %run notebook using relative path

DManowitz-BAH
New Contributor II

In the root of my workspace, I have the following folder structure set up:

/foo
   / ETL
   / setup
   / utilities

From a notebook in /foo/ETL or /foo/setup, if I try to %run a notebook in /foo/utilities by giving the relative path ../utilities/<x>, I get an error "Permission denied: Forbidden".  However, I am able to %run a notebook by giving the absolute path /foo/utilities/<x>.

If I clone this whole structure into my user folder, I also get the same error when trying to use the relative path to refer to my other notebook.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

3 REPLIES 3

User16502773013
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @DManowitz-BAH ,

Hope you are doing great, I tried to replicate this behavior on 12.2 LTS runtime and didn't get any errors for the same folder/workspace structure..

Can you share the cluster configuration details so I can mimic exactly the same setup you have so I can replicate the issue and recommend a solution?

Regards

I am on AWS, running a cluster with Databricks runtime 10.4 LTS.

Hello @DManowitz-BAH I also tried in 10.4 LTS and the issue is not  replicatable (shown below) 

Is it possible scripts in utilities are referencing other files that you may not have access to?

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.58.02 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-17 at 2.50.59 PM.png

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.