cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks community edition and cloud platform

Aidzillafont
New Contributor II

I have been using databricks in work for a few years now and absolutely love it.

I have been wanting to use it at home but I dont have a ton of money to spend.

Any community members can advise a good cloud option to run databricks on that's relatively cheap?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AidzillafontDatabricks can run on several cloud platforms, including AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. The cost of running Databricks would largely depend on the pricing policies of these cloud platforms.

However, if you are looking for a relatively cheaper option, you might want to consider using Databricks Light.

Databricks Light is the Databricks packaging of the open source Apache Sparkโ„ข runtime.

It provides a runtime option for jobs that don't need the advanced performance, reliability, or autoscaling benefits of Databricks. When you run jobs on Databricks Light clusters, they are subject to lower pricing. However, Databricks Light does not support autopilot, highly concurrent clusters, notebooks, dashboards, collaboration features, and connectors to various data sources and BI tools. 

Please note that you can select Databricks Light only when you create or schedule a JAR, Python, or spark-submit job and attach a cluster to that job; you cannot use Databricks Light to run notebook jobs or interactive workloads.

To use Databricks light:

1. When you create a cluster, select a Databricks Light version from the Version drop-down. 

Here is the source I used to provide this information:
- https://docs.databricks.com/runtime/light.html

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AidzillafontDatabricks can run on several cloud platforms, including AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. The cost of running Databricks would largely depend on the pricing policies of these cloud platforms.

However, if you are looking for a relatively cheaper option, you might want to consider using Databricks Light.

Databricks Light is the Databricks packaging of the open source Apache Sparkโ„ข runtime.

It provides a runtime option for jobs that don't need the advanced performance, reliability, or autoscaling benefits of Databricks. When you run jobs on Databricks Light clusters, they are subject to lower pricing. However, Databricks Light does not support autopilot, highly concurrent clusters, notebooks, dashboards, collaboration features, and connectors to various data sources and BI tools. 

Please note that you can select Databricks Light only when you create or schedule a JAR, Python, or spark-submit job and attach a cluster to that job; you cannot use Databricks Light to run notebook jobs or interactive workloads.

To use Databricks light:

1. When you create a cluster, select a Databricks Light version from the Version drop-down. 

Here is the source I used to provide this information:
- https://docs.databricks.com/runtime/light.html

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!