Community Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook Dashboard to html to pdf issues

dataVaughan
New Contributor II

I have created a dashboard using the notebook dashboard interface, rather than the SQL warehouse dashboards. This means that the tables and visualizations on the dashboard, as well as the dashboard itself, are directly tied to a notebook and the output of that notebook. My goal is export this dashboard as html and then export that html as a pdf so that others in my organization can view my dashboard without having a DataBricks account.

When I run the notebook through a workflow, the results give me the option to view the dashboard, as well as export as html. This works fine, and the resulting html file looks and acts as expected, just as it did on the workflow results page for the dashboard.

My problem comes when I use Chrome's (or any other browser's) print>export to pdf functionality. The result of this is many pages long of the information on my dashboard, but the pieces are not in order, overlapping, scattered about randomly with lots of whitespace, and overall not usable. Moreover, a DataBricks logo appears in the top left corner of the print preview that does not exist on the dashboard, or the html version of it. 

For the time being I am using a Chrome extension called GoFullPage as a workaround, but my ultimate goal is to automate the export and upload of the dashboard html file to a place where anyone can grab the file and print from their browser(without any extension). Everything to do that is set up except for the being able to print part. I reached out to DataBricks and they said they'd reach out internally and get back, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

I unfortunately can not show an example, as the data is sensitive, but I hope my explanation made enough sense. Has anyone seen this? Any help at all would be much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@dataVaughan  - you can use the Lakeview dashboard which can provide an URL that is shareable outside of the Databricks workspace. 

https://www.databricks.com/blog/announcing-public-preview-lakeview-dashboards

In your current scenario, you can clone the existing dashboard to a Lakeview dashboard https://docs.databricks.com/en/dashboards/clone-legacy-to-lakeview.html#clone-to-dashboard

I don't think this dashboard is a legacy dashboard. It is a fairly new dashboard, created as a dashboard view within a notebook. It is only affiliated with that notebook and can only be accessed through that notebook or a workflow of that notebook. 

Accessing it within the notebook: Click View; There is a Dashboards section at bottom of View, and it is in there.

Accessing it within the workflow: Click on the job run; Top right of output has a dropdown menu with the options "Code", "Results Only", or "Dashboard: <name of dashboard>"; I choose Dashboard and I can see it, then I click Export as HTML and I get a file that starts downloading.

From the link you added, if this were a legacy dashboard, then I should have the option "Clone to Lakeview Dashboard", and I do not. 

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@dataVaughan - I am not able to reproduce this internally in my local. Can you please create a support case with us to do extensive debugging on this?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.