Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity catalog enabled workspace -Is there any way to disable workflow/job creation for certain users

Avvar2022
New Contributor III

Currently in unity catalog enabled workspace users with "Workspace access" can create workflows/jobs, there is no access control available to restrict users from creating jobs/workflows.

Use case: In production there is no need for users, data engineers to create workflows. Even if there is a need also admin should be able have ability to manage access like we have for cluster, notebooks, etc..

One more thing i think would be nice is to be able to organize workflows in folders. 

4 REPLIES 4

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is no direct feature to disable job creation for certain users in Databricks. However, you can do the following workaround:

You can restrict non-admin users from creating jobs by removing their permissions to create clusters. This can be done by going to Admin Settings > User > "Allow unrestricted cluster creation" and unchecking it if enabled. You should also remove or adjust the user from clusters where they have "Can Manage" permissions and remove the required user from any cluster policy they have access to.

Avvar2022
New Contributor III

@Lakshay  - Except workspace admins no other user has access to "Allow unrestricted cluster", so work around suggested is not a solution. Please let me know if i am missing something.

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Avvar2022 , Do you mean to say the admin has already unchecked the box or do you mean to say other users do not have access to this option? 

c3
New Contributor II

We have the "allow unrestricted cluster creation" box deselected for all groups and have users creating jobs in production so we are looking for a way to disable this.  I cannot believe this isn't an option. Did anyone find a solution for this?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.