cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the ephemeral notebook links????? and the job ids????

Benedetta
New Contributor III

Hey Databricks,

Why did you remove the ephemeral notebook links and job Ids from the parallel runs? This has created a huge gap for us. We can no longer view the ephemeral notebooks, and also the Jobids are missing from the output. Waccha doing? The link that is provided in the output is the link to the notebook that was called.....not the run of the notebook, aka the ephemeral notebook. This is no longer troubleshootable. Please restore the jobids and ephemeral notebooks.

Thank you,

Benedetta

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Benedetta, I understand your frustration, and it’s important to have clear visibility into job runs for troubleshooting purposes.

Let me provide some information to help address this issue.

In Databricks, ephemeral notebooks are temporary instances of a notebook that are created when you run a job. These notebooks allow you to view the exact code and output produced during the job execution. Similarly, job IDs uniquely identify each job run, making it easier to track and troubleshoot any issues.

Here are some steps you can take to work with ephemeral notebooks and job IDs:

1. Job URLs and IDs:

2. Notebook Parameters:

3. Job Run ID within Notebooks:

Remember, technology evolves, and sometimes changes can be frustrating. Hang in there, and I hope you find a solution that works well for your use case! 😊🚀

Benedetta
New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz,

It's funny you mention these things - we are doing some of those - the problem now is that the JobId is obscured from the output meaning we can't tell which ephemeral notebook goes with which JobId.  It looks like the ephemeral notebook is available via the "StartTime" or "EndTime" columns which I had removed from the output due to the fact that I could not view the parameters. If I remove all of the columns, except parameters, I can then view the parameters and using CTRL-F, potentially match the outputs. Without removing the columns, the parameters really can't be seen. I don't know why it was necessary to obscure the JobIds, or even how the parameters are really useful given how difficult they are to see, with respect to many notebook runs in parallel. The JobIds are readily available - why not bring them back??

Thank you,

Benedetta

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!