cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcGIS Connection

dbsuersu
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an ArcGIS instance using Data bricks. Is this possible? After connecting, I am trying to read the data into a Data fame.

Please help me with this request. If its not possible to connect , please provide an alternative.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbsuersu , Connecting to an ArcGIS instance using Databricks is indeed possible, and I’ll guide you through the process.

1. ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Engine in Databricks:

• ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Engine (GA Engine) is a powerful plugin for Apache Spark™ that extends data frames with fast spatial processing and analytics capabilities. It’s designed to run seamlessly within your existing Databricks environment.
    • Key features of GA Engine include:
  2. How to Connect:

3. Reading Data into a DataFrame:

• Once connected, you can read data into a DataFrame using standard Spark operations. For example:
      # Assuming 'spark' is your SparkSession
      df = spark.read.format("csv").load("dbfs:/mnt/mydata/myfile.csv")

4. Alternative Approach:

• If you’re looking for an alternative to ArcGIS, consider using QGIS (a popular open-source GIS software) with Databricks.

Remember that both options provide powerful geospatial capabilities, so choose the one that best fits your requirements. Happy analyzing! 🌍🔍

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbsuersu , Connecting to an ArcGIS instance using Databricks is indeed possible, and I’ll guide you through the process.

1. ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Engine in Databricks:

• ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Engine (GA Engine) is a powerful plugin for Apache Spark™ that extends data frames with fast spatial processing and analytics capabilities. It’s designed to run seamlessly within your existing Databricks environment.
    • Key features of GA Engine include:
  2. How to Connect:

3. Reading Data into a DataFrame:

• Once connected, you can read data into a DataFrame using standard Spark operations. For example:
      # Assuming 'spark' is your SparkSession
      df = spark.read.format("csv").load("dbfs:/mnt/mydata/myfile.csv")

4. Alternative Approach:

• If you’re looking for an alternative to ArcGIS, consider using QGIS (a popular open-source GIS software) with Databricks.

Remember that both options provide powerful geospatial capabilities, so choose the one that best fits your requirements. Happy analyzing! 🌍🔍

@space bar clicker Think about combining Databricks with QGIS, a well-known open-source GIS program, if you're seeking for an alternative to ArcGIS.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group