cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't activate users

Raven91
New Contributor III

A while back apparently a user became inactive on our Databricks platform from unknown reason.

So far everything we tried haven't worked:

1. Delete and manually re-create the user
  2. Delete and let SSO to create the user on login
  3. Use Databricks CLI - shows no errors but does not take effect.

The CLI does work on other users, just this one does not updates with the command:
databricks users update USER_ID --json '{"active":true,"userName":"email@domain.com"}'
This command works for other users and deactivates active user (with "false" value) and then reactive it.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue? this is a major blocker

15 REPLIES 15

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Raven91Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please specify whether the issues you're facing are related to the [Community Edition]or the [Databricks Community platform]?

This information will help me provide more targeted assistance.

Raven91
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma, Thank you for replying!

This issue is related to the Community Edition.

Thanks!

Hi @Raven91, first, ensure that you have the necessary permissions to modify user accounts and verify that the Personal Access Token (PAT) you’re using is valid and has the required privileges.

Raven91
New Contributor III

the action works for 99% of the users, but just those two doesn't work.

They're regular users, not admins or something.

The action finishes as other - successful - but there's no actual change

Raven91
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma 
Just checking if you've got any insights on this issue?
I've continued to try various options but anything I thought haven't effected the user.

Thanks,
Ofer.

Raven91
New Contributor III

Trying to bump this, anyone got any insights to this issue?

Jürg
New Contributor II

Hi there, 

We are facing exactly the same issue over here. Two users suddenly set to inactive, reactivation with python script does not work... even with PAT of account admin...

Help is much apprechiated!

ebr92
New Contributor II

Same issue here. Any ideas why and how to fix it? Deleting/adding user is not working. 

Raven91
New Contributor III

@ebr92 
No leads so far. Still waiting for hopefully anyone from the community will have any lead.

Tried anything with relation to deleting/adding as you mentioned, but nothing helped. the user is re-created with the same ID eventually and remains inactive

@Kaniz_Fatma Any chance you've got a lead on this?

bencsik
New Contributor III

Anyone solve this issue. I am facing the same with only 1 user stuck as inactive.

ebr92
New Contributor II

One of my team member has solved this issue. 

Users account is disabled on the Databricks account-level hence has no access to workspace.
We have fixed this issue by using Databricks Rest API and running the script (API call via Databricks CLI).

bencsik
New Contributor III

I have scripts to update users and activation Booleans using api and with python-sdk. There is only one user stuck deactivated out of dozens. We do not share the same issue. 

Raven91
New Contributor III

No clue who marked this as solved.

@ebr92 This is not the solution. I'm using a similar script to create and modify users on databricks account level but it does not work for only this single user. Every user works - besides a single user.

@Kaniz_Fatma Any insights?

Anyone else might have any insights?

AsgerLarsen
New Contributor III

I had the same issue on my admin account seamlessly becoming inactive at random.

The problem occurred after helping our platform team testing out a new setup of another databricks workspace.
I was testing the setup logging in as a standard user and an admin user. These roles where given to me by the platform team, and after testing, they removed the roles that I was given, which somehow resulted in my other roles also being affected.

Apparently it has something to do with databricks not being able to handle nested groups in SCIM as mentioned in the bottom of this post.
The platform team changed back the groups and my account was updated as so:

AsgerLarsen_1-1724832571826.png

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how they did this, but I hope this helps narrowing down your problem.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group