cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Add value to Comment Column in Databricks Catalog View for Foreign table (Azure SQL)

Leon_K
New Contributor II

Hi.

Struggling to add description by script to the comment column within the catalog view in Databricks, particularly for foreign/external tables sourced from Azure SQL.

I have no issue doing that for delta tables. 

Also for information schema columns for delta tables I see "comment" column, but not for Azure SQL . 

Wondering if it's possible to add "comment" values by script for foreign table in Databricks to appear in the catalog view. 

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Leon_K, Adding comments to columns within the catalog view in Databricks can be quite useful for documentation and understanding your data. While it’s straightforward for Delta tables, handling foreign/external tables sourced from Azure SQL requires a slightly different approach.

Here are some steps you can follow to add comments to columns for foreign tables in Databricks:

1. Using AI-Generated Comments (Recommended):

2. Using Markdown Comments (Manual Approach):

3. Programmatic Approach (For Azure SQL):

4. REST API (Advanced):

Remember that documenting your data with meaningful comments enhances collaboration and understanding, so choose the method that best suits your workflow.

Happy cataloging! 📊🗂

Leon_K
New Contributor II

@Kaniz_Fatma Sorry, I did read this way back but forgot to reply.
Thanks for information.

And all those steps I found as well and for "3. Programmatic Approach (For Azure SQL)" if you are adding to sql any description that way I don't think it will appear in a databricks workspace - on "comment" field. 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group