cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Task runs missing from system database

DavidKxx
Contributor

I have a workflow with 11 tasks (each task executes one notebook) that run in sequence.  The task was run on 9/1 and again today (9/10).  I am working reporting task history and status using system table `

system.lakeflow.job_task_run_timeline`.  

The state of the notebooks is such that all tasks succeed except for #7, which fails on each of its three attempts.

When I query the system table for records where job_run_id matches the value of the run from 9/1, I get 13 records (10 from the tasks that succeed, 3 for the attempts at task #7).  All is well.

When I query the system table for records where job_run_id matches the value of the run from 9/10, I get only 7 records:  successes on tasks 1-6, and only the first attempt at task #7.  Attempts 2 and 3 of task #7 are missing from the table, as are tasks #8-11.  I emphasize, however, that in the Workflows screens, it's utterly plain to see that all 13 task attempts (10 successful, 3 failed) were executed.  I can easily click into the fully executed notebook instance for task #9, for example.

This is not good, I think.  Where are the records for the remaining task runs of 9/10?  What was it about attempt 1 of task #7 that short-circuited the rest of the recording of tasks?

Footnote:  the only difference between the conditions for 9/1 vs. the conditions for 9/10 is that 9/1 was run from a trigger, while 9/10 was run manually by clicking "Run Now".
1 REPLY 1

filipniziol
New Contributor II

Hi @DavidKxx ,
There are chances that the table has not been updated today.
Check tomorrow.

Here what the documentation says:

filipniziol_0-1725993627072.png

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group