cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to add column comment on a View. Any way to update comments on multiple columns in bulk?

prasad_vaze
New Contributor III

I noticed that unlike "Alter Table" there is no "Alter View"  command to add comment on a column in the existing view. This is a regular view created on Tables (and not Materialized view).  

If the underlying table column has comment then the View inherits it but I want to update that only on View column. I am owner of the tables and View. Has anyone solved this or is this a gap in functionality or bug?

Alternatively ,Is there a way to mass apply or upload column comment on multiple columns across Tables or Views? I have a spreadsheet with column descriptions and want to mass apply /upload in Unity catalog instead of "Alter Table" command for each column

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, @Retired_mod for the detailed reply.  Similar to "Alter Table <name> Alter column <name > comment '<>' "  option will there be an option for Views in the future? This will be handy as compared to recreating the Views.

We are currently SQL script to mass-apply ALTER statements. I was hoping any alternative such as excel import/export way

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Thanks, @Retired_mod for the detailed reply.  Similar to "Alter Table <name> Alter column <name > comment '<>' "  option will there be an option for Views in the future? This will be handy as compared to recreating the Views.

We are currently SQL script to mass-apply ALTER statements. I was hoping any alternative such as excel import/export way

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group