cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-tuning capability available for external tables?

Amit_Dass_Chmp
New Contributor III

If I am using Databricks Runtime 11.3 and above to create managed Delta tables cataloged in Unity Catalog (Databricks’ data catalog), I don’t need to worry about optimizing the underlying file sizes or configuring a target file size for my Delta tables because Databricks will carry out this task automatically in the background as part of the auto-tuning capability.

Does Auto-tuning capability available for external tables as well?

1 REPLY 1

szymon_dybczak
Contributor III

Hi @Amit_Dass_Chmp ,

Yep, according to documentation. As of second question, such capability will be available in the future.

If you are using Databricks Runtime 11.3 and above to create managed Delta tables cataloged in Unity Catalog (Databricks’ data catalog), you don’t need to worry about optimizing the underlying file sizes or configuring a target file size for your Delta tables because Databricks will carry out this task automatically in the background as part of the auto-tuning capability. In the future, this will also be available for external tables.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group