cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CLOUD_PROVIDER_LAUNCH_FAILURE (CLOUD_FAILURE) for workflow job with all-purpose cluster

SrinuM
New Contributor III

One of our databricks workflow job is failing occasionally with below error, after re-running and working fine without any issue.

What is the exact reason for the issue and how can we fix it

Error:

Unexpected failure while waiting for the cluster to be ready: Cluster 'XXX' was terminated. Reason: CLOUD_PROVIDER_LAUNCH_FAILURE (CLOUD_FAILURE). Parameters: azure_error_code:StorageFailure, azure_error_message:Error while creating storage object'

4 REPLIES 4

jacovangelder
Contributor III

What cloud are you on? Azure? The error from my experience indicate either one of the following: 

• There was a temporary cloud outtage/downtime
  • Bust most likely: you've reached your cloud subscriptions VM/CPU quota. Most likely you need to increase the subscription quota for the VM type you're using. 

SrinuM
New Contributor III

Its Azure, we have the VM/CPU quota available, i don't think that is causing the issue

The problem with this error is that its very hard to debug.
I would create an Azure support ticket so they can look into the actual cause. 

PSR100
New Contributor III

These are cloud provider related errors and we will not have much error details from the error message. Based on the error message and also, that you have enough CPU/VM quota available, I think the issue might be due to the storage creation stage in the cluster startup.

If the workspace is a VNET injected workspace, you can try adding Microsoft.Storage service endpoint for both the public and private subnets used for the workspace and check if you are still seeing the same behaviour.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group