cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks Variant Data Type

RobsonNLPT
Contributor

Hi

I've tried to enabled a table to test the new variant data type (public preview)

I used the alter cmd:

ALTER TABLE tablexxxx SET TBLPROPERTIES('delta.feature.variantType-preview' = 'supported')
and I have the error
[DELTA_UNSUPPORTED_FEATURES_IN_CONFIG] Table feature(s) configured in the following Spark configs or Delta table properties are not recognized by this version of Databricks: delta.feature.varianttype-preview.

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

According to documentation, serverless in April was on runtime that roughly corresponds to 14.3. Since then, newest version is 2024.30, but they don't mention anywhere that runtime is equivalent to 15.3

Serverless compute release notes - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Slash
Contributor

Hi @RobsonNLPT ,

What  runtime do you use? 

Databricks Runtime 15.3 or above to read and write tables with variant support enabled.

RobsonNLPT
Contributor

Yes but I tried using 2 cluster types

SQL Serverless and New Compute Serverless.

Error in both

According to documentation, serverless in April was on runtime that roughly corresponds to 14.3. Since then, newest version is 2024.30, but they don't mention anywhere that runtime is equivalent to 15.3

Serverless compute release notes - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn

But wat about SQL Serverless?

I've tested using a notebook with a cluster and runtime 15.3. 

I was able to create a table with variant data type using spark sql api 

Yep, it succeeded because now you've used runtime that is supported. If the answer was helpful to you, you can check it as a solution.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group