cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delta Sharing Azure Databricks Private Storage

Zacp
New Contributor II

I am looking for details on how Delta Sharing is configured on Azure. If your storage account is private, do you need to whitelist the IP for the recipient? Recipient is not using Databricks.

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ZacpWhen setting up Delta Sharing on Azure, here are the steps you need to follow:

1. As an Azure Databricks account admin:

• In the sidebar, click on โ€œCatalog.โ€
    • Click the name of a metastore to open its details.
    • Enable Delta Sharing by checking the corresponding checkbox. This allows a Databricks user to share data outside their organization.
    • Configure the recipient token lifetime1.
  2. If creating a new Unity Catalog-enabled workspace is not an option, you can use the open source Delta Sharing project to deploy your own Delta Sharing server. This server can be used to share Delta tables from any platform. The initial provider setup includes enabling Delta Sharing on a Unity Catalog metastore.

Behind the scenes, the Delta Sharing server uses the hadoop-azure library to read a shared Delta tab...2.

Feel free to explore Delta Sharing in Azure Databricksโ€”itโ€™s a secure data-sharing platform that allo.... If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Zacp
New Contributor II

@Kaniz_Fatma Thanks for the response.

I have an issue with a customer claiming they cannot access the delta table. However, they can get the list of tables and I see no issues in the system audit table. The storage account is not public, and the tables are external delta tables. How does Delta Sharing access data from the Azure storage account? What credential does it use? In this case would I have to whitelist the customer's IP? 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!