cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta table vs dynamic views

Sans1
New Contributor II

Hi,

My current design is to host the gold layer as dynamic views with masking. I will have couple of use cases that needs the views to be queried with filters.

Does this provide equal performance like tables (which has data skipping based on transaction log's first 32 columns stats) .

What should I opt here , a delta table or dynamic views or a table

Note - I already have my de-normalized SOTs in silver layer. If I add another table of tables it would need to be scheduled and refreshed.

2 REPLIES 2

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Sans1  Have you only used masking, or you have used any row or column level access control?

If it's only masking, then you should go with delta table and if it's row or column level access control then you should prefer dynamic views

Sans1
New Contributor II

Thanks Ajay for your input.

My requirement is to have a semantic layer with views which would be exposed to tableau..i just want to understand how views work.. if I apply filters or joins on views will it be providing good performance..and "data skipping" feature in Databricks would be applied in views?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.