Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable downloading files for specific group of users ?

Kumar4567
New Contributor II

I see we can disable/enable download button for entire workspace using download button for notebook results.

is there a way to disable/enable this just for specific group of users ?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kumar S​ :

Yes, it is possible to disable or enable the ability to download files for specific groups of users in Databricks. This can be achieved by configuring the Workspace Access Control List (ACL) to control access to the Download button for notebooks.

Here are the steps to do this:

1. Navigate to the workspace ACL settings by clicking on the User icon in the top right corner of the Databricks workspace and selecting "Admin Console" from the dropdown menu.
  2. In the Admin Console, click on the "Workspace" tab and then select "Access Control Lists" from the menu on the left-hand side.
  3. Find the group of users for which you want to disable or enable file downloads, and click on the pencil icon to edit the group's permissions.
  4. In the "Workspace Permissions" section, scroll down to find the "Download" permission and toggle it on or off as desired.
  5. Click "Save" to apply the changes.

Note that disabling the Download permission for a group of users will prevent them from downloading any files from notebooks, including results and artifacts. Therefore, it's important to carefully consider the impact of this change before implementing it.

Also, please note that Workspace ACL is only available for Databricks Premium or above. If you are using Databricks Community Edition or Standard Edition, this feature may not be available to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kumar S​ 

Hope everything is going great.

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue. If yes, would you be happy to mark an answer as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, please tell us so we can help you. 

Cheers!

Kumar4567
New Contributor II

Hi Vidula/Suteja,

Sorry no, I could not find what you mentioned. Can you please provide some screenshots ?

I only see Admin settings when I click on User icon in the top right corner of the Databricks workspace

Capture1 

Under Admin Settings, I see below for Access Control under "Workspace Settings" Tab.

Capture2

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.