cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Error Sent message larger than max

thiagoawstest
Contributor

Hello, I'm receiving a large amount of data in a dataframe, when trying to record or display it, I receive the error below. How can I fix it, or where do I change the setting?

SparkConnectGrpcException: <_MultiThreadedRendezvous of RPC that terminated with: โ€ƒโ€ƒstatus = StatusCode.RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED โ€ƒโ€ƒdetails = "Sent message larger than max (196857128 vs. 134217728)" โ€ƒโ€ƒdebug_error_string = "UNKNOWN:Error received from peer unix:///databricks/sparkconnect/grpc.sock {grpc_message:"Sent message larger than max (196857128 vs. 134217728)", grpc_status:8, created_time:"2024-07-19T14:35:45.424700977+00:00"}"

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @thiagoawstest

1. When starting your Databricks cluster, you can modify the Spark configuration to increase the gRPC message size. Youโ€™ll need to set the appropriate configuration property. For example, if youโ€™re using the Spark BigQuery connector, you can adjust the spark.databricks.grpc.....
  2. Could you please ensure that any dependencies (such as BigQuery tables or other data sources) are not inadvertently causing the issue? If a new row was added to your BigQuery table with an encoded representation larger than the limit, ...
  3. Also, please examine the data youโ€™re working with. If itโ€™s too large, consider partitioning it or optimizing the way you handle it to avoid exceeding the message size limit.
  4. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask! ๐Ÿ˜Š

fghedin
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma, I'm facing the same error. Can you provide the full name of the spark conf we have to change?

Thank you

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group