Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixed interval micro-batches and AvailableNow Trigger

Maatari
New Contributor

What is the fundamental difference between Fixed interval micro-batches and AvailableNow Trigger, given that both can consume in micro-batch based on the desire size of the micro batch ? 

Is the fundamental difference the fact that AvailableNow shut down when finished and Fixed interval micro-batches never shut down ?

Indeed as far as i am understanding the documentation, AvailableNow does not mean, one micro-batch of everything available, but depending on the size set up, might mean consuming multiple micro-batch up to what was available when the job was triggered. Am I understanding this correctly ?

The other thing i find confusing in the documentation is the idea that the micro-batch size is set up by a property of type maxBytePerTrigger (depending on the data source). If AvailableNow represent one trigger then that is a problem. So does AvailableNow actually means multiple triggers ?

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Maatari

• Fixed Interval Micro-batches are like clockwork, processing data at regular intervals without stopping.
  • AvailableNow Trigger is more adaptive, consuming data as it becomes available and then gracefully shutting down.

Regarding your confusion about the micro-batch size:

• The maxBytesPerTrigger property determines the maximum size of each micro-batch.
  • For AvailableNow, it doesnโ€™t represent just one trigger; it can indeed involve multiple triggers if thereโ€™s more data to process.
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.