Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Can't create table from tutorial. Is my setup wrong?

TimW
New Contributor

Trying out databricks for the first time and followed the Get Started steps. I managed to successfully create a cluster and ran the simple sql tutorial to query data from a notebook. However, got the following error:

Query:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS diamonds;

CREATE TABLE diamonds USING CSV OPTIONS (path "/databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/diamonds.csv", header "true")

Error returned:

Error in SQL statement: UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=68d811cd-a1e8-4d03-b9f3-8777d8010f59 ErrorClass=INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE] GenerateTemporaryPathCredential uri /databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/presidential.csv is not a valid URI. Error message: INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE: Missing cloud file system scheme.
com.databricks.backend.common.rpc.SparkDriverExceptions$SQLExecutionException: com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=68d811cd-a1e8-4d03-b9f3-8777d8010f59 ErrorClass=INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE] GenerateTemporaryPathCredential uri /databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/presidential.csv is not a valid URI. Error message: INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE: Missing cloud file system scheme.
	at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ErrorDetailsHandler.wrapServiceException(ErrorDetailsHandler.scala:33)
	at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ErrorDetailsHandler.wrapServiceException$(ErrorDetailsHandler.scala:23)
	at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.wrapServiceException(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:139)
	at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.recordAndWrapException(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:3696)
	at com.databricks.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogClientImpl.generateTemporaryPathCredentials(ManagedCatalogClientImpl.scala:3277)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogCommon.generateTemporaryPathCredentials(ManagedCatalogCommon.scala:1487)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.$anonfun$generateTemporaryPathCredentials$2(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:564)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.MetricKeyUtils$.measure(MetricKey.scala:399)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.$anonfun$profile$1(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:55)
	at com.databricks.spark.util.FrameProfiler$.record(FrameProfiler.scala:94)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.profile(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:54)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ProfiledManagedCatalog.generateTemporaryPathCredentials(ProfiledManagedCatalog.scala:564)
	at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.checkPathOperations(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:95)
	at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.register(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:142)
	at com.databricks.unity.CredentialScopeSQLHelper$.registerCreateTableAccess(CredentialScopeSQLHelper.scala:526)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.CredentialScopeTableCredentialHandler.injectCredential(ResolveWithCredential.scala:466)
	at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ResolveWithCredential.com$databricks$sql$managedcatalog$ResolveWithCredential$$maybeDecorateCatalogTable(ResolveWithCredential.scala:75)

I checked the Catalog and saw that my workspace is created. Every resource was just created using the Quick Start and the Get Started documents. Anyone has an idea of where my setup might be wrong? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scott_in_Zurich
New Contributor III

Adding 'dbfs:' got me past that error. Now onto debugging a PARSE SYNTAX error....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Emil_Kaminski
Contributor

Hi TimW, 

I will do a bit of guessing as I don't have such problem as you. If you are following this tutorial - https://www.databricks.com/notebooks/gcp-qs-notebook.html, the issue might be, very, very old version of runtime. Try to create and use a cluster with modern version, which will be 13+. 

If you already have a modern version of cluster, and still face this issue, try to change path to the file to start with dbfs:. Like  - path "dbfs:/databricks-datasets/Rdatasets/data-001/csv/ggplot2/diamonds.csv".

Good luck

** You might also want to subscribe to Warsaw Databricks YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1-u_2nI97cNHtu_FQ3HP_A

Scott_in_Zurich
New Contributor III

Adding 'dbfs:' got me past that error. Now onto debugging a PARSE SYNTAX error....

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.