Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I trigger the execution of a specific step within a Databricks Workflow job?

taschi
New Contributor II

I'm investigating methods to test a Job starting from a particular step. For instance, if I've made modifications midway through a 50+ step Job, is there a way to test the Job without running the steps that precede the one with the modification?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nkraj
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @taschi ,

Appreciate the thorough use case explanation. Currently, rerunning a new version of a job with the option to select specific tasks is not feasible. However, its on the roadmap to enable users to choose any task for rerun, even those that were successful.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nkraj
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @taschi ,

The Repair Job Run feature can be valuable in scenarios where you need to fix failed or canceled multi-task jobs. It enables you to rerun only the subset of tasks that were unsuccessful along with any dependent tasks.

Please consult the provided reference article to explore this feature further: Repair Job Run

taschi
New Contributor II

Hello @nkraj, appreciate your response. I've come across that feature, but my specific interest lies in a scenario where we have a new version of the job with no previous failure runs. In this case, we aim to test it, but rather than starting from the beginning, we want to initiate it from a specific step to optimize testing costs.

nkraj
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello @taschi ,

Appreciate the thorough use case explanation. Currently, rerunning a new version of a job with the option to select specific tasks is not feasible. However, its on the roadmap to enable users to choose any task for rerun, even those that were successful.

taschi
New Contributor II

Got it, thanks for clarifying!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! Thanks a bunch for being part of our awesome community! ๐ŸŽ‰ 

We love having you around and appreciate all your questions. Take a moment to check out the responses โ€“ you'll find some great info. Your input is valuable, so pick the best solution for you. And remember, if you ever need more help , we're here for you! 

Keep being awesome! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿš€

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.