cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to access root mountPoint without "Access Denied"?

Dusko
New Contributor III

Hi, Iโ€™m trying to read file from S3 root bucket. I can ls all the files but I canโ€™t read it because of access denied. When I mount the same S3 root bucket under some other mountPoint, I can touch and read all the files. I also see that this new mountPoint have an empty encryptionType while others (including root) have sse-s3.

Maybe this could be the issue (we are trying access data through instance profiles)? My goal is to make root mountPoint "/" accessible because of all our hardcoded paths in dependencies and modules. We already checked all IAM roles, instance_profiles, bucket policies but without any luck.

Additional info:

• Files I want to read are uploaded manually through AWS console
  • When I import .zip file as .whl library and %sh unzip that file I can read this file without any problem

Is there something we are missing? Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹ , Please go through the doc for your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹. My name is Piper, and I'm one of the moderators here in the community. Thanks for your question and it's great to meet you. ๐Ÿ™‚

We will give the community a chance to respond and then we will come back around if we need to.

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As databricks has the ownership of rootbucket I think manually upload from console will not work.For your second point - ( import .zip file as .whl library and %sh unzip ) I hope you are doing this through notebook so it will not giving you any issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹ - Checking in. Does Atanu's answer help you?

Dusko
New Contributor III

Hi @Atanu Sarkarโ€‹ , @Piper Wilsonโ€‹ ,

โ€‹

thanks for the replies. Well I don't understand the fact about ownership. I believe that rootbucket is still under my ownership (I created it and I could upload/delete any files through browser without any problem). I can even list those files from notebook but can't read them.

โ€‹

I discovered that if I upload those files through databricks cli, I could read them. So maybe you're right about the "ownership" but I can't find any docs regarding this, so I could understand it. Do we have anything?

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹ , Please go through the doc for your question.

Hi @Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹ ,

Just a friendly follow-up. Did you have time to check the docs @Kaniz Fatmaโ€‹ shared? did it help to resolve your issue or not? please let us know.

Dusko
New Contributor III

Yeah Jose, that was exactly I was looking for! Thanks @Kaniz Fatmaโ€‹ 

You're welcome @Duลกan Vystrcilโ€‹ . Happy to help you. Would you like to mark it as the best answer which would turn out to helpful for the entire community?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group