cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use multi character encodings in Delta Tables?

ShuImamura
New Contributor II

Can we mix different encodings in Delta tables? Downstream needs different character encodings like UTF-8 and Shift JIS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think that it is possible.

Using an alternative encoding might be possible (you can for csv files, but for delta lake I did not find an option to do that).

But even with that hypothetical alternative encoding, I realyl doulbt mixing will work as the encoding is typically set for the whole file, not just a part of it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think that it is possible.

Using an alternative encoding might be possible (you can for csv files, but for delta lake I did not find an option to do that).

But even with that hypothetical alternative encoding, I realyl doulbt mixing will work as the encoding is typically set for the whole file, not just a part of it.

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shu Imamura​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Werner Stinckens​, and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others.

ShuImamura
New Contributor II

@Werner Stinckens​ thanks for answering!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group