Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-cluster write for delta tables with s3 as the datastore

hari
Contributor

Does Delta currently support multi-cluster writes to delta table in s3?

I see in the data bricks documentation that data bricks doesn't support writing to the same table from multiple spark drivers and thus multiple clusters.

But s3Guard was also added to the s3a client for s3 which provides string write consistency for most cases.

Can someone confirm whether delta currently supports multi-cluster writes or are there still edge cases in s3Guard making multi-cluster writes not possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes it supports. S3 originally doesn't support it (that's why Azure dla is better) but it is handled by AWS Commit. Here is more info ​https://docs.databricks.com/administration-guide/cloud-configurations/aws/s3-commit-service.html

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes it supports. S3 originally doesn't support it (that's why Azure dla is better) but it is handled by AWS Commit. Here is more info ​https://docs.databricks.com/administration-guide/cloud-configurations/aws/s3-commit-service.html

hari
Contributor

Hi @Hubert Dudek​ ,

Thanks for the confirmation

I didn't know that data bricks had an s3 commit service that ensures atomicity for writes across clusters.

Do you know if commit service is enabled by default

nastasiya09
New Contributor II

that's really good post for me

mobdro

verizon wifi

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.